A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Race Review: Earth Day Challenge

04-21-2013
Gambier, OH
Race Day Weather: 29F - Wind ENE 5kts - Sky Clear
Finishing Time 2:15:17
Bib #4896

At twenty nine degrees, the day started out surprisingly cold for the six annual Earth Day Challenge hosted by Kenyon College. However the sky was clear and more importantly, there was a lot to be thankful for. The race was presented by Premier Sports and before the race the volunteers handed out ribbons to wear in honor of the victims of the terrible crimes committed in Boston just a week ago.

There seems no more peaceful a gathering possible in sports as a foot race. For runners, their families, citizens of our country and others to be attacked in such a way as they were in Boston at the marathon is awful. It's beyond words - I can only offer my sincere condolences to the victims and those affected. At times like these my interests and efforts in racing seem small and unimportant in the larger picture. I have been searching for a way to put last week's brutal and senseless attacks in context and have found none, other than to just keep doing what I am doing. So here we go.

The Earth Day Challenge wound its way from the pristine outdoor track at Kenyon College through its beautiful campus for the first four miles. As it turns out there are a few hills in Ohio. Luckily for this "flat-lander" the course then proceeded along the smooth and scenic Kokosing Gap Trail for the next eight-and-a-half miles to finish with another loop around the track.
I thought it was Spring?
My faithful and loving cheering section/crew were once again on hand. I have written in the past how much this support means to me. I would, however, appreciate it if my daughter managed to sleep more than two straight hours the night before a 5:30 a.m. wake up and the subsequent thirteen mile run!

Look out. Here comes the 10:30 pace group.
Slowly.
I felt strong this morning, happy in my ability to get out and challenge myself. The initial hills threw me off for a bit, but I  was able to find a comfortable groove at mile-four for the next seven or so miles. Soon after, the race leaders appeared on their way back as I was on my way out. And, yes, the winner passed me on his way home as I passed the 6.5-mile marker outbound. Nothing like adding a little humility smack in the middle of a race! As always, I would like to thank the volunteers and the Knox County Sheriff's Department for directing traffic.

We have just two weeks before the next race.
See you at The Cap City Half Marathon!
Slightly more practical than another medal.



1 comment: