A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Running Around

I have taken several trips so far this year and have found that there is no better way to see a new place than to go for a run.  For instance Washington, DC, is one of my favorite places to jog. I am not a district native so to be surrounded by the monuments of our republic and the memorials to those who have served impresses and inspires me. I find it deeply motivating to lope through the National Mall among these structures with a specific turn around point in mind. Whether it be  the Washington Monument or the Capitol, its always very gratifying.

In April we traveled to San Francisco for a family wedding. Congratulations once again to the bride and groom. I'm very happy for you both.  More recently we also went to Albuquerque, NM, to visit family. The two couldn't be more different. On both trips I  made the time to run everyday. I have found that on these vacations the best time to make this effort is early in the morning before everyone else is awake and the family activities begin.


This also presents a great opportunity to see a city or environment at its best.  San Francisco is perfect for the early morning run. At sunrise at the beginning of a jog when your body is coming alive so too is the city. Running seems to heighten the senses and can make you appreciate things more, both small and large. Each morning I left my hotel and made my way downtown to the Embarcadero that runs along the eastern waterfront. Running from the skyscrapers past Fisherman's Wharf in view of eerie Alcatraz provides lots of diversity along a pretty short five mile out-and-back course. This time of day stores are opening and taking deliveries while shop owners in Chinatown are hosing down the sidewalks. People of all types, both successful and destitute, begin their day either rapidly making their way to sky rise offices or slowly collecting their belongings from another night outdoors. I found the diversity on my route very poignant as I made my way through the city.

Albuquerque is also a beautiful place in a much different sense. The Sandia Mountains are visible from the city. Sandia means watermelon in Spanish and is a reference to the reddish color of the range at sunset caused by the amount of feldspar in the rock. Once again the early morning is the best. The temperature drops significantly at night leaving morning hours still cool.  I was shown a trail around some farm land known to the locals as Anderson's Field and followed it along the irrigation ditches that criss-cross and flow around the city like a maze. Situated at a sunny and dry 5,355 feet above sea level this city proved to be a totally different environment than I'm used to running in. After both of these trips I found myself recharged and excited about my running. I guess I just needed a change of scenery. I must confess that I did not take advantage of the hills that San Francisco is so famous for. Maybe next trip! I am looking forward to several more destinations this year including those where some of the races are scheduled. Next week off to South Bend, Ind. The half marathon (my 5th this year) will take us through the Notre Dame campus and finishes inside the famous stadium. I will be looking to summon some of the Fighting Irish Spirit during this one!

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the many new international readers that have checked in with the blog this month. We have several new countries represented: Hungary, India, Romania, Malaysia, Bosnia and Herzegovina!  It's great fun to see the colors on the blog traffic map come to life with each new country's readers. I will try to post more often and please come back and feel free to comment.

Garrison

No comments:

Post a Comment