A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

It's a family thing

Its hard to put into words what the love and support of your family means to you. I do know that I could not accomplish much, including this years undertaking, without the support of mine. Family support gets what seems like a crazy idea off the ground. It can keep you motivated when your feeling, well, not so; cheer you on when you cross the finish line behind five thousand other people; and nurse you back to health when you're down. Kate recently presented me with these shirts to celebrate this years 13 half marathon's in 2013.



I found a quote from English novelist and playwright Margaret Kennedy: "In truth a family is what you make it. It is made strong, not by number of heads at the dinner table, but by the rituals you help family members create, by the memories you share, by the commitment of time, caring, and love you show to one another, and by the hopes for the future you have as individuals and as a unit."
Matching Onesie!


As I mentioned in one of the first posts Kate is responsible (or to blame depending how you look at it) for  starting this running craze in our family. Its no longer about just running, being healthier or staying fit. These things are nice. More importantly we are creating memories: making time, sharing goals and  building traditions - peanut-butter crossants and all.

Running is not always fun though. In fact, running can hurt. Waking up at 4:30 and driving to a race in the middle of nowhere doesn't always feel like the best use of a Sunday morning. Laying in bed with ice packs on your legs is a drag. But for better or worse this has become one of our family activities and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Besides, more often than not you might hear me say with a smile something like, "do you remember that first duathlon..."

Runner's Worlds's Marc Parent recently wrote in his "Newbie Chronicles" column a story about a father who had a  birthday wish for his family to run a relay marathon with him.  I can relate to this man and his story, he just wanted to do something as a family. I can't be sure that running will rub off on my kids, I certainly came late to this particular party myself. But I can hope.  The benefits far outweigh any negatives.

So yes we are now one of those families happily wearing matching shirts!
Kate starting first post-birth 5K race!

No comments:

Post a Comment