A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

To Run or Not to Run

This question is sometimes harder to answer than one might think. After successful completion of the second half marathon of our series on Sunday, I took the next day off. Which leads us to today: I would normally think to take more time to recover after a 13.1-mile effort, but was somewhat at a loss for what to do with myself. Many preach the benefits of a recovery run. Get the lactic acid out, etc.  It was another chilly gray overcast day and I was lacking motivation.  I was also considering the question of how much time I need to recover and not risk injury. Injury is the biggest potential obstacle that could stand in my way of finishing this years challenge of 13 half marathons in 2013. I was in a funk.

I debated the issue silently until 3:30 p.m., when, finally faced with the knowledge that there would be no way I could run tomorrow with my schedule, I laced up and bit the bullet.  At times I have to use willpower instead of motivation. The first mile was tough. My gait felt more like I was trying to crush an aluminium can than gliding over the asphalt, my shins still felt tender, knees sore. I took a deep breath in an attempt to restart and regulate my breathing. Focusing on keeping one foot in front of the other without tripping and making a fool of myself as I passed the nearby girls school that was letting out for the day. 'Why am I doing this,?' I wondered. Soon enough I had my answer. Despite the doubts, I started to loosen up. After shaking off the cobwebs in my head, I made it to my usual trail. I passed the local high school cross country team and felt glad that I was also out and not at home still wondering if I should run or not. Silly. I finished off 4.5 miles feeling good. In fact, I passed the turn off to the house to squeeze in a couple more tenths from my effort. I'm back and better.

The moral of the story? Honestly, I dont know. I'm sure I will have this debate many more times but I'm glad I ran.
So how about some more pictures from Sunday!
Patiently awaiting the start

Another benefit of running!

No comments:

Post a Comment