A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Race Review: Sunburst Memorial

06-01-2013
South Bend, IN
Race Day Weather: 70F - Wind S 10kts Gusts 15 - Overcast -  RA
Finishing Time 2:17:39
Bib# 1365

If you ask someone about the weather there are two kinds of people who will give you more information than you wanted. A meteorologist and a pilot. In the week leading up to this race I was closely watching Indiana's ominous forecast: thunderstorms, gusty winds, impending doom. Race eve was spent in a hotel listening to thunder, checking the radar and expecting the worst. After finally getting a fitful night of sleep I awoke to a pleasant surprise. The worst of the rain cells were passed and dissipating. This however was not to be the last surprise in store for me.


Sunburst Races is said to be a premier event in the region and started in 1984. Since 2009 it has served as a fund raiser for Memorial Children's Hospital. The website claims that this race is "truly a community event." They are not mistaken. The community turned out in force with hundreds of volunteers. In addition many families could be found on their porches and in front yards cheering on runners. As usual the police department did a great job of closing streets and controlling traffic. There were six different events going on at once. Sunburst did a fantastic job organizing what appeared to be a very complex event with different and converging courses and races. To this runner it seemed all went off without a hitch.
At the finish - knackered

The course started in downtown South Bend at the former College Football Hall of Fame, then wound through neighborhoods and parks along St. Joseph River. This section along the river was the point in which I realized I was in for another weather surprise. I was feeling pretty good so far. I finished the first half of the course in 58:56.  Just as I passed the halfway mark it seemed like the overcast cloud layer disappeared in a matter of minutes. All of a sudden it was sunny out! No big deal, right? What I wasn't counting on was the humidity that those three days of storms would cause turning the course into a sauna. In my foggy haze I was sure I could see the steam rising from the asphalt. This seemed to sap my strength almost instantly as I began to flag and went from passing fellow runners to being the passee. This was the first race this year that I have allowed any doubt to creep in and had a bit of a mental struggle for the next five miles. I felt unprepared. My pace slowed way down. At one point as I trudged through a park I considered how nice it would be to sit down on a nearby park bench and watch the river for awhile.

Despite this, tenacity eventually prevailed and I was rewarded with one of the most memorable race finishes in my short career. At the end of the river path we turned north onto the University of Notre Dame campus. The course came alive with spectators and it was obvious that this town loves their sports. Another third of a mile and we made a sharp turn into the concourse of the venerable Notre Dame football stadium. I found myself making an uncharacteristic whoop out loud as the bright green field came into view at the end of the tunnel. Seconds later I found myself dazed but elated to be running past the finish line on the historic turf. Exhausted - I told myself that it wasn't so bad, sure I'll be back here next year, maybe for the full marathon.

I would like to add that after this race the whole family headed west to Hammond, Ind., where my wife completed a very tough olympic distance triathlon. I am very proud of her.

Garrison
In front of the famous "Touchdown Jesus"

No comments:

Post a Comment