A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

I'M Back! Race Review: Ultrafit Columbus Half Marathon

08-11-2013
Columbus, OH
At the start
Race Day Weather: 72F - Wind Calm - Sky Clear
Finishing Time -  2:25:31
Bib - #53

After two months of heat, humidity and a couple of injuries - mainly to my motivation - I have made my half marathon return. Many of you may have given up on me, however, I am back and gearing up for the fall push with another race exactly two weeks away. I had my usual cheering section and support crew on hand and it felt great to be back and getting one more race closer to the 2013 goal.





I had a lot fewer training miles going into todays race so the plan was simple: start out slow; mid-race, keep it nice and slow; in the end go for a slow finish! The plan worked perfectly, I might add. No injuries! The race sponsor, Ultrafit, reported that this is the original and oldest half marathon in Columbus. Despite this it is a much smaller field than the other half marathons with about four hundred and fifty runners. However the small size suited the narrow tree lined course very well. We started out at Three Creeks Metro Park and wound along the trails and bike paths around the park. The trees and shade helped keep the heat at bay until about mile-12, of course. The Ultrafit staff and volunteers were great. Thank you, as always, to the county fire fighters for standing by in case of emergency. Six down seven to go!
Garrison
Finish Line - A Welcome Sight


1 comment: