A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Race Review: The White Tail Trail Half Marathon and 10K

10-05-2013
Waynesville, OH
Race Day Weather: 68F - Wind SSE 5kts- mostly cloudy- humidity 93%
Finishing Time - 2:57:15
Bib# - 87




Ohio Running Produced this race in Cesar Creek State Park and did a great job.  It's often said that there is a first time for everything. This last half marathon was a true trail race, and a real first for me.
I have mentioned before that at some point along the course of a thirteen- mile run on the road I will sort of "check out" mentally, plodding along for awhile not really paying attention to anything. I realized pretty quickly that there is no checking out on terrain like this. It reminded me of the Appalachian trail I was on just a month ago. The single track trail had plenty of elevation changes as well as lots of roots and rocks to contend with. I have never run any real distance on ground like this and it required all of my focus to stay upright. In fact I didn't even use my ipod which is usually a real staple for me. The course was still pretty wet from the previous nights rain. After witnessing two big wipe-outs of other racers I found myself at times sort of running scared, thinking, "If I slip here or fall here or twist my ankle here, I'll be finished."
Much needed aid station 9.5 mile marker

I must admit though it was certainly more exhilarating than a typical large road race. Something else occurred to me. When I popped out of the woods to see an aid station at mile 9.5 (where my family was patiently waiting for me) it became apparent that my previous finishing times would not apply here. I finished in a whopping 2:57! The field was relatively small with about two hundred and fifty half marathoners. At the start they all looked like runners, no one here to phone this one in. I was told beforehand that the second half of the race was much more technical than the first and that finishing under three hours was good. After the fact I'm convinced to believe both.

My cheering section was twice the size this week as my mom and step-father joined in. It was really nice to have my family there supporting me. Thanks, guys! I would recommend this event to anyone, but would advise that they actually do some training on similar terrain. In that, this could be considered a "Don't try this at home" warning! I am continuing to do strength and endurance work with a personal trainer. I am also hoping to triumphantly unveil a secret training weapon at next weeks  Nationwide Columbus Marathon!

Garrison

No comments:

Post a Comment