A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Race Review: The Air Force Half Marathon

09-21-2013
Dayton, OH
Race Day Weather: 62F- N Wind 10kts - Overcast
Finishing Time - 2:24:44
Bib# 6681

I enjoyed this race quite a bit. It also struck a chord with my patriotic side. I would like to thank all the soldier-volunteers that helped make this a successful event. There was also a full marathon, which started an hour earlier than my race. Our two courses merged together near the end of both races. As I shuffled along the last mile, a full marathon runner approached me on my left side. He was singing a song and wore a red, white and blue goatee. He gave me a smile and promptly passed me. I have to mention he must have been sixty five years old. When I looked up again I saw the back of his shirt. In bold letters it read, "YOU'VE JUST BEEN GEEZERED!" 




Yes my friend, you geezered me good. Thank you to that anonymous runner for making me laugh out loud at myself two hours and fifteen minutes into a half marathon!


When I started this endeavor this year I assumed, I suppose somewhat naively, that as I progressed from race to race that I would get faster. I have written in the past on my opinions regarding fixation on the clock. So I am writing this more as a point of interest. It's possible that I should be doing more long runs the week before another half marathon. It's possible that I am not recovering properly between races. It's possible that my traditional post-race meal of deep-fried mushrooms, chicken wings and beer is not helping. I must also confess that one might actually have to do some "speed work" if one is to get faster.

In the last month I have done a few things differently. My family and I spent a week in the Shenandoah National Park. There, we each hiked forty miles in five days on the Appalachian Trail, although I did a little bit of trail running when the opportunity and conditions permitted. The biggest difference between the hiking and my usual training was the hills - quite a lot more elevation gains. As I primarily run on flat asphalt where I live, this caused some lung busting moments to be found as well as a few black bears. Bears and blisters, aside this was a great trip and I left feeling stronger and more fit than I was before.

Since my last posting I have also worked several times with a personal trainer for strength training. I have been sore ever since. In fact, I am sore right now. Ok, I just got back from taking a break. One major difference in working out with a trainer is the fact that I would never push myself as hard as she does. There is a function in my brain that seeks self-preservation. That little voice will usually kick in before I get to the point that I am about to puke. I have been to that threshold several times since working with this trainer. I am eager to see over the coming months how this training will pay off.

On another note I am determined to run the full 26.2-mile marathon distance in 2014. I thought long and hard about where to complete this goal. As it turned out there was one race that happened to coincide with a family vacation we are planning. I am now registered for the 2014 Paris Marathon!
Paris ou buste!

Garrison



No comments:

Post a Comment