A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Race Review: The Berlin Amish Country Half Marathon

11-30-2013
Berlin, OH
Weather: Freezing
Bib# 472
Finishing Time: 2:32:43

A Cold Start
Well I can't procrastinate any longer than I already have on this review. In fact, I am writing this in our hotel in South Beach, Miami, Fla., on the eve of my thirteenth half marathon of the year. We just returned from dinner at a great Cuban restaurant. I indulged in fried pork chunks. I am not sure exactly which chunks or from where exactly on the pig they came from but they were delicious. I am also not sure if fried pork chunks and mojitos are a good pre-race dinner. I'll let you know tomorrow.


Back to race#12 - the Berlin, Oh., half marathon was remarkable on many different levels. Above all it was freezing cold, a condition that will not be a problem for me tomorrow here in southern Florida. Secondly, it was held in Ohio's Amish country. Last but not least, the race was held on my thirty-seventh birthday. Apparently I waited until the twelfth race for the hardest road course of the year. The horses who were pulling their Amish owners' buggy, cart, or carriage had no problem with the rolling hills that made up this frozen course.
It was a different story for me altogether.

Happy to put this one behind me!
I made it though as usual and was happy to tick off number twelve with a frozen but cheerful family. It was also the first, and probably last, race in which I will receive not only a  medal but a block of cheese at the finishing line.

Tomorrow is a big day. The alarm clock is set a mere eight hours from now. If everything goes according to plan by ten o'clock in the morning, I will have completed my goal of finishing thirteen half marathon races in 2013.

Garrison

ONE TO GO!



No comments:

Post a Comment