A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Race Review: Churchill's Half Marathon

03-10-2013
Monclova, OH
Race day weather: 50F - S Wind 15kts - broken 10,000
Finishing Time 2:16:42
Bib #1086

Spring came early for the 46th running of Churchill's Half Marathon. Hosted by the Toledo Roadrunners Club and named after Walt Churchill (race founder), this race began in 1967. Mr. Churchill himself was on hand to present finishers with medals and a hearty handshake.  This race had a small town feel with approximately 375 runners but was executed with the professionalism of an event that has been around as long as it has. It's worth noting that the registration fees are lower than some organized 5K's ($25 for early registration) making it accessible for most amateurs and families on a budget. The course utilized both roads and and the paved Wabash Cannonball Trail. It was however an odd X-shaped course with several out and back sections.




Where's Waldo?



I think most athletes are pretty superstitious. If not, they at least have some iron-clad habits and traditions. I once had the privilege of going into the St. Louis Blues locker room as a kid and was told about this. They said: "Don't touch anything, or they'll notice." I swear - I didn't. I'm no Blue but I do have my traditions. For instance, before each race I eat the same thing. A croissant with peanut butter, one banana, one half of a cool mint Cliff Bar and one GU. So imagine my surprise when I unpacked my breakfast in Toledo and realized that my brand new jar of peanut butter was CRUNCHY! To a normal person this would be no big deal. To me on race eve this was enough to start a disastrous chain of events so unlucky it could result in the dreaded DNF (words also not to be spoken before a race).

The day started out unseasonably warm.  I was expecting 35 degree and still in winter running mode I couldn't believe it when I woke up and saw that the temperature in Toledo was 50! This changes everything.  I was still overdressed even after rethinking my final wardrobe decision several times and having Kate talk me down off the ledge. I was reminded the hard way not to drink too much water while running in this weather, getting a couple of small stomach cramps later in the race.

Despite these few hiccups, I felt really more mentally and physically prepared today than I did last week.  I remembered what I would feel like at the ten mile marker and was better able to mentally block out my legs' desire to quit. I often do this by either arguing two sides of an issue in my head or trying not to think about anything at all. I am probably one of the few people running down the road quietly having a full blown argument about the finer aspects of smooth vs. crunchy peanut butter. Hey, what ever gets you through it.  After finding my rhythm, I made it through miles 4-9 pretty quickly, and was pleased to have finished the first seven in 1:08.

There is a funny thing about having an out-and-back leg on the second half of the race. When I began to head outbound at the 7-mile mark, runners were coming towards me, heading down the home stretch on mile 12. I knew they were finishing while I had a lot of hard work left to do. Mentally, this can serve as either the carrot or the stick. I recommend the carrot. The latter can be too discouraging.
Loyal Fan Club

A nice benefit of this particular course is that you get to see loved ones several times throughout the race. Kate and the kiddo dutifully made the trip to Toledo and stayed throughout with the "Go Dad" sign in hand. The Roadrunner volunteers did a great job working with local traffic and the trail sections were peaceful. I will plan on making this race an annual tradition. Congrats to the winners and thanks to all for the effort!

Garrison

2 down 11 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment