A personal journey running thirteen Half Marathons in 2013. The training, the races, the suffering and the joy.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Race Review: The Emerald City Half Marathon

08-25-2013
Dublin, OH
Race Day Weather: 70F- Wind Calm- Sunny
Finishing Time - 2:30:23
Bib#- 376

Well the good news is that I'm over the hump. With race seven complete there are just six half marathons left to squeeze into the last four months of 2013.
A little support before the race


It has taken me awhile to write this post - this race was different for me. I was not sure what to say or how to say it. On August 15th I lost a dear friend. I have decided not to attempt to eulogize him in this format except to say that he was truly one of a kind. A very caring and loving person who was certainly the best of what was for me a close group of friends that grew up together. I new Adam Cohen for twenty years and for many of those considered him my best friend. I feel deeply guilty for having lost contact with him for the last several of those years.

As the first few days of initial shock and loss passed and the next scheduled race approached I had no desire to run. Frankly it seemed like a ridiculous pursuit. Eventually I decided to run and dedicate the race to my lost friend. This also seemed a bit hollow and unimportant. How can a thing like that really be a tribute to a life lived. So it was with these and other mixed emotions that I approached the start line with my family. So I did what I always do; run, slowly. I won't try to paint a pretty picture. If this were fiction I would report that I was somehow seized by something extraordinary, moved to give it my all, finishing in record time. Well this is not one of those stories. The last four miles were a struggle, desperate really, as I walked at mile eleven convinced that this effort was no tribute at all.

I will miss my friend. I suppose one could say that this race, like most is a metaphor for life. Sometimes you feel great great. There are moments you feel like you can do anything and there is no pain. Other times you get beat down. Sometimes the doubt creeps in and you just need to sit down reflect on what went wrong, take stock; and make another plan; but at some point you have to stand back up and keep running.

Garrison
AJ as I remember him best- laid back and smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment